In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Parsons Memorial Library

Shaker buildings, Alfred, ca. 1900

Contributed by Parsons Memorial Library
MMN Item 35546 Item Details
Shaker buildings, Alfred, ca. 1900
MMN Item 35546 Zoom

Description

Some of the building at the Alfred Shaker Village are, from left, the Girl's Shop, the Second Dwelling House and the Brethren's Shop.

The Shaker community in Alfred began in 1793 when the Meetinghouse was built. The community closed in 1931 and the remaining Shakers moved to the Sabbathday Lake community.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.